La cruz del diablo (Devil's Cross)




 page 19
Ésta comenzó terrible y sangrienta. Se peleaba con todas armas, en todos sitios y a todas horas, con la espada y el fuego, en la montaña y en la llanura, en el día y durante la noche.
Aquello no era pelear para vivir; era vivir para pelear.
Al cabo triunfó la causa de la justicia. Oigan ustedes cómo.
Una noche oscura, muy oscura, en que no se oía ni un rumor en la tierra ni brillaba un solo astro en el cielo, los señores de la fortaleza, engreídos por una reciente victoria, se repartían el botín, y ebrios con el vapor de los licores, en mitad de la loca y estruendosa orgía, entonaban sacrílegos cantares en loor de su infernal patrono.
This one began terrible and bloody. It was fighting with all weapon, in all places and at any time, with the sword and the fire, in the mountain and in the flatness, in the day and during the night.
That was not to fight to live; it was to live to fight.
To the end the cause of the justice triumphed. You hear how.
A dark, very dark night, in which a rumour was heard in the ground only one star was not even shining in the sky, the masters of the fortitude, conceited by a recent victory, were distributing the booty, and intoxicated with the steam of the liquors, in half of the crazy and thunderous bacchanal, were intoning sacrilegious you will sing in praise of his infernal employer.

vocabulary  


sangriento = bloody
la espada = sword
la llanura = lowlands
al cabo = at the end
la justicia = justice
engreído = vain, bidheaded
el botín = spoils of war
ebrio = drunk
entonar sacrílegos cantares = to start outrageous songs
en loor = for praise of





contact privacy statement imprint