La cruz del diablo (Devil's Cross)




 page 23
 El tiempo pasó; comenzaron los zarzales a rastrear por los desiertos patios, la hiedra a enredarse en los oscuros machones, y las campanillas azules a mecerse colgadas de las mismas almenas. Los desiguales soplos de la brisa, el graznido de las aves nocturnas y el rumor de los reptiles, que se deslizaban entre las altas hierbas, turbaban sólo de vez en cuando el silencio de muerte de aquel lugar maldecido; los insepultos huesos de sus antiguos moradores blanqueaban el rayo de la luna, y aún podía verse el haz de armas del señor del Segre, colgado del negro pilar de la sala del festín. The time happened; they began the bramble patches to rake for the desert courts, the ivy to get entangled in the dark buttresses, and the blue small bells to rocking hung by the same battlements. The unequal blows of the breeze, the croaking of the night birds and the rumour of the reptiles, which were sliding between the high grasses, turbaban only occasionally the silence of death of that wicked place; the unburied bones of his ancient inhabitants were whitening the beam of the moon, and it still could there turns the bundle of weapon of the master of the Segre, hung by the black prop of the room of the banquet.


vocabulary  


el zarzal = thornbush
rastrear = to fly low above the ground
la hiedra = ivy
enredarse = to entrap
el machón = skewback
mecerse = to weigh (oneself)
la almena = merlon
el graznido de las aves = croaking of birds
turbar = to disturb
insepulto = not burried
el morador = residents
el haz de armas = hatchment





contact privacy statement imprint