La cruz del diablo (Devil's Cross)




 page 48

El misterioso bandido penetró al fin en la sala del concejo, y un silencio profundo sucedió a los rumores que se elevaban de entre los circunstantes, al oír resonar bajo las altas bóvedas de aquel recinto el metálico son de sus acicates de oro. Uno de los que componían el tribunal, con voz lenta e insegura, le preguntó su nombre, y todos prestaron el oído con ansiedad para no perder una sola palabra de su respuesta; pero el guerrero se limitó a encoger sus hombros ligeramente, con un aire de desprecio e insulto que no pudo menos de irritar a sus jueces, los que se miraron entre sí sorprendidos.
Tres veces volvió a repetirle la pregunta, y otras tantas obtuvo semejante o parecida contestación.
The mysterious bandit penetrated to the end in the room of the council, and a deep silence happened to the rumours that they were rising of between the bystanders, after heard resounding under the high vaults of that enclosure the metallic sound of his golden incentives. One of those who were composing the court, with slow and insecure voice, asked him about his name, and they all gave the ear anxiously not to lose only one word of his response; but the warrior limited himself to shrinking his shoulders lightly, with an air of scorn and insult that could not stop from irritating his judges, which looked between yes surprised.
Three times it repeated the question again, and some others it obtained similar or similar response.

vocabulary  


la sala del consejo = council chamber
los circunstantes = the ones standing around
el recinto = site
el acicate de oro = skid of gold
prestar el oído = to pay attention
encoger los hombros = to shrug
con un aire de desprecio e insulto = with an air of contempt and insult
el insulto = insult






contact privacy statement imprint