Guapeza valenciana




 page 9


Los había que empuñaban escandalosos garrotes o barras de hierro forradas de piel, golpeando con estrépito los adoquines, como si quisieran anunciar el paso de la fiera; pero otros usaban bastoncillos endebles o no se apoyaban en nada, pues bastante compañía llevaban sobre las caderas, con el cuchillo como un machete y la pistola del quince, más segura que el revólver.

Aquel desfile de guapos detúvose en todos los cafetines del tránsito para refrescar con medias libras de aguardiente, convidando a los policías conocidos que encontraban al paso, y cerca de las doce llegaron a la alquería del camino de Burjasot, donde la paella burbujeaba ya sobre los sarmientos, faltando sólo que le echasen el arroz. Cuando se sentaron a comer estaban medio borrachos; mas no por esto perdieron su fúnebre y despreciativa gravedad.

It them was that they were clutching scandalous clubs or bars of iron lined with skin, striking with tumult the paving stones, as if they wanted to announce the step of the wild animal; but others were using weak rods or were not resting on anything, so enough company they were going on the hips, with the knife as a machete and the gun of fifteen, surer than the revolver.

That gallants' parade stopped in all the cafetines of the transit to refresh with half a pounds sterling of firewater, inviting the well-known police officers who were finding to the step, and about twelve o'clock they came to farmhouse of the way of Burjasot, where the paella was already bubbling on the vine shoots, being absent only that they were throwing the rice. When they sat down to eating they were average drunk; more because of it they lost his funeral and scornful gravity.

vocabulary
empuñar = to grasp the handhold
el garrote = policemen's truncheon
el estrépito = noise, sensation
el adoquín = paving stone
endeble = pathetic
media libra de aguardiente = half a pound of brandy
la alquería = country house





contact privacy statement imprint